What is the deal with copyright for songs released by Emu?

Can our church embed Emu videos into their online service?
We're happy for you to embed our videos, and have been making song leading videos for that specific purpose, which you can download for free (or donating any amount that you choose). Please ensure that the appropriate copyright information (song title, composer/s, Emu Music, copyright date, and CCLI No.) is shown at some point in the video. We also recommend tagging the video with this information within its metadata to help make the song identifiable. A link to our YouTube channel in the video description would also be greatly appreciated.
Can our church livestream your songs? 

A number of social media platforms such as YouTube/Instagram/Facebook already allow you to livestream songs by Emu song writers. (Click here for more info). If performing our songs on these platforms, please ensure that the appropriate copyright information (song title, composer/s, Emu Music, copyright date, and CCLI No.) is shown at some point in the livestream. We also recommend tagging the video with this information within its metadata to help make the music identifiable.

We would also recommend CCLI's Streaming License which gives cover for a broad range of platforms and the ability to project lyrics etc. The scope of what this licence covers varies from country to country so please read the fine print!

In most cases, social media platforms and CCLI will not allow the re-streaming of licensed songs. (This is essentially posting a cover of a song which requires the song owner's permission via a mechanical licence.) For the current time, Emu (on behalf of its composers) is allowing you to use and keep our songs available on post live-streamed and pre-recorded services. However, please note that we have no control over YouTube (for example) deciding to remove a song you post.

Sheet Music

All of our sheet music is available to purchase online (or on older Enhanced CDs). To reproduce sheet music for your church musicians requires you having the CCLI Music Reproduction Licence. (For special circumstances you can contact us for permission). An alternative to the CCLI license is to buy extra copies of the sheet music. Normally we provide at least a piano score and melody line version - so a small band could easily get away with one to two scores sets.

Overhead Transparencies, Songs Sheets, PowerPoint

To reproduce the words of our songs onto Overhead Transparencies, Song Sheets, Powerpoint etc, requires your church to have a CCLI Church Copyright Licence.

Whatever license you are using, please make sure you report your song use regularly, as per the conditions of your licence.

What about public performances and theatrical productions outside of church?
Eg. Using a song in a concert; or performing one of our kid's CDs as a musical.

Performing Rights are administered in Australia by APRA, of which Emu and its writers are members, and in the UK by PRS. (Find out about affiliate societies in other parts of the world). APRA requires a small license fee to be paid for any public performances of its members' songs - even at non-profit performances and in schools (except in actual church services). You can apply online for a license for your ticketed or free event at the APRA website.

Performance of our sound recordings

We are happy for you to play one of our CDs within the context of a ‘normal’ Church service, without cost and without you having to ask prior permission. If you are in doubt about what a ‘normal’ church service is, please contact us.

Reproducing our sound recordings

You must not make copies of our sound recordings (other than for personal private use) without our permission. This includes making copies of mp3s for friends or even for your church music team to learn a song. You can purchase most of our songs either on this site or on iTunes, Spotify and Amazon etc.

If you want to use one of our recordings on a public release CD or video - whether for money or for free - you must contact us first for permission.

We know that copyright is complicated! We are, of course, happy to answer any questions you may have.